Over Galamsey, 265 pieces of mining equipment were destroyed- Duker

Date:

Share post:

George Mireku Duker, Deputy Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, claimed that 265 pieces of mining equipment had been destroyed.

He also stated that 26 illegal miners had been apprehended since the operation to stop illegal mining began.

He made this known at a media briefing on Wednesday, December 8.

He said the 26 persons are currently facing the law.

It is recalled that Attorney General Godfred Dame assured that persons arrested for galamsey are facing the law in court.

“As many as about 45 people are on trial as a result of operations taken in the past two weeks. Most importantly, it involves about 10 Chinese nationals,” he said on Joy FM on May 29.

“The principles that the President set out in his speech on Wednesday were actually the foundations for the decision of the High Court in Kumasi. The High Court endorsed the principle that no right can accrue from the illegality,” the Attorney General argued.

Related articles

A leader of Myanmar travels to Bangkok as the number of earthquake deaths reaches 3,000.

Myanmar's junta chief Min Aung Hlaing is in Thailand for a regional summitas his country reels from an...

Views of five major economies on the latest Trump tariffs

New trade tariffs unveiled by US President Donald Trump on Wednesday are expected to have a major global...

Wa Municipal Assembly engages stakeholders on NSD re-launch 

The Wa Municipal Assembly has engaged the media and Assembly Members in the Municipality on the re-introduction of...

Cabinet to decide on options of private participation in ECG

Cabinet will soon deliberate on the most suitable of three recommended options: Entity concession, multiple lease, and service...