Tite: Coutinho can help Brazil replace Neymar, who is injured.

Date:

Share post:

Tite, Brazil’s head coach, believes Philippe Coutinho can help replace the injured Neymar in his first appearance in national colors in more than a year.

Coutinho, who joined Aston Villa on loan from Barcelona earlier this month, is set to start for Selecao in place of the suspended Lucas Paqueta in Thursday’s World Cup qualifier against Ecuador.

After undergoing knee surgery in January 2021, the 29-year-old has not played for Brazil since October 2020.

Coutinho’s return coincides with Neymar’s absence from the upcoming qualifiers due to an ankle injury.

“People always want Neymar, but at times things don’t happen the way you want,” Tite told reporters.

“We feel sorry that Neymar can’t be here, but we have other options. I’m talking about Coutinho. He is a player that can play in that role and I believe in his quality.

“Coutinho is an important player and he’s been recovering to his best level.”

He added: “From a social and human standpoint, I know how much time he has invested and the challenges he has faced to recover from injury.”

Ex-Liverpool forward Coutinho has started life at Villa brightly, netting the equalizing goal in the 2-2 draw with Manchester United on debut.

Brazil have already clinched their spot at Qatar 2022, but Tite wanted to push his players in the qualifiers against Ecuador and also Paraguay on Tuesday.

“I thought the emotions and feelings would be lighter but no, we have the same emotions and anxieties,” Tite said.

“I want to test players in the upcoming qualifiers. I still have the same pressure.”

Tite confirmed that he will field Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior against Ecuador along with Raphinha and Matheus Cunha.

Related articles

A leader of Myanmar travels to Bangkok as the number of earthquake deaths reaches 3,000.

Myanmar's junta chief Min Aung Hlaing is in Thailand for a regional summitas his country reels from an...

Views of five major economies on the latest Trump tariffs

New trade tariffs unveiled by US President Donald Trump on Wednesday are expected to have a major global...

Wa Municipal Assembly engages stakeholders on NSD re-launch 

The Wa Municipal Assembly has engaged the media and Assembly Members in the Municipality on the re-introduction of...

Cabinet to decide on options of private participation in ECG

Cabinet will soon deliberate on the most suitable of three recommended options: Entity concession, multiple lease, and service...